Sunday, October 2, 2011

Day 2 of 31 Days of Promises & Truths

"If you don't have enemies, you don't have character."
- Paul Newman

I get encouraging comments and emails because I write this blog.  I love that.  But, if we were all to be honest, how do we really react when someone compliments us? 

Someone to me last night: "Oh, your make-up look so pretty tonight, you look beautiful!"

My thoughts at that moment: "No, it really doesn't.  I wish I knew how to put on make-up right.  Gosh, now I'm having flashbacks to 1999 when I was a freshman in college and my friend invited me to a makeover party.  Everyone laughed at me when I looked up from doing my eye make-up and said I looked like a clown"

Seriously.

What came out of my mouth: "Oh, thank you.  That's so sweet.  I never know if I do my eye make-up good."

Smiling back at her all the while.

Why do I focus all day long on the ONE hateful comment, but I only let the encouraging ones sink in for about 1 minute (or less)?  Why is it so hard for us to believe others when they tell us wonderful things about ourselves?  Why do I let that hate comment define who I am....convince me to quit....question myself....have thoughts of just shutting down the blog all together?

You are getting the picture, I'm sure.  Can you relate?

Here are some amazing truths that our God has to say about us:

I am a child of God (John 1:2)
I am the daughter of the King (Psalm 45)
I am called (Jeremiah 1:5)
I am purposed (Ephesians 2:10)
I am chosen (Ephesians 1:11)
I am fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:13-14)
I am equipped for battle (Ephesians 6:10-17)
I am part of God's plan for justice on earth (Isaiah 61:1)
I am free from condemnation (Romans 8:1)
I am the temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19)
I am free from sickness and disease (Matthew 8:17)
I am delivered from sin (Romans 6:7, John 3:16)
I am accepted in Him (Ephesians 1:5-7)
I am loved beyond measure (John 17:23)
I am completed in Him (Colossians 2:10)
I am a new creation in Christ Jesus (2 Corinthians 5:17)
I am training the next generation to live well (Titus 2:3-5)
I am delivered from the power of darkness (Colossians 1:13)
I am saved by grace (Ephesians 2:8-9)
I am created to bring glory to God (2 Corinthians 3:17-18, Colossians 1:15-17)
I am living to honor and worship God Romans 12:1)
I am transformed by the renewing of my mind (Romans 12:2)
I am the will of God (Revelation 4:11)

"Seeing ourselves as He sees us is a primary step on the journey of loving ourselves."
- Holly Wagner

This past weekend at our church's women's conference, our pastor said something so profound....a perfect ending to this post.  Our enemy will shoot fiery darts, people who do that don't want to face you.  True.  They are shooting these darts from afar because we have something they don't have and it's Truth.  God's Word.  Next time, lets choose to focus on that and the fact that it's building our character instead of the my critics comment.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At October 2, 2011 at 2:36 PM , Blogger Alene said...

WooWee girl - you speak some truth here. That enemy ... come to destroy. So thankful our God speaks incredible TRUTHS into our lives. Love Holly Wagner and the quote. Blessings

 
At October 2, 2011 at 7:31 PM , Blogger Brooke said...

Ohh Cat, sometimes it is easier to believe the bad then the good. I don't know why that is. So glad you are rising above. I have missed your around blogland ;D

 
At October 3, 2011 at 6:52 PM , OpenID chillart said...

Hey! Just wanted to encourage you about your 31 day journey, proud of you girl! Excited to follow along and see what he has for me through you:)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home